Bonnie was raised in a single family home in the wealthy hamlet of Clarendon Hills, IL, 15 miles west of Chicago. A small town of 7500, it was common in the 1960's to refer to such homes as 'broken'. While the family was often broke, her loving home was never broken. She endeavored to understand money: how it works, how it can work for you, and most importantly, how to use it for good, whether for your personal family goals or something even larger.
Bonnie has been working in financial services since 1981, and has been a Certified Financial Planner for families since 1992. She also earned the Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, designation and Certified Divorce Financial Analyst designation, CDFA™. She served 3 years on the National Board for the Financial Planning Association, served on the Foundation for Financial Planning board, and served as President on the Board of Directors for the non-profit Loudoun Therapeutic Riding.
Bonnie earned a Masters degree in Financial Planning and keeps current through at least 30 hours of professional continuing education each year. In gratitude to her community, Bonnie donates up to 10% of her annual hours to pro bono work reflecting her commitment in helping to create a world where everyone thrives and prospers.
As the 3rd generation of women business owners in her family, Bonnie has expertise in helping men and women meet their wildest dreams in business ~ she can help you plan, build or exit your business profitably, she helps divorced clients keep and grow their settlements, and guides widows and widowers in their new lives.
Sometimes, clients like to know what their planner is doing to achieve their own life balance. To that end, Bonnie is happily married to Murray Sewell, she works out on her Concept II rower daily, snorkels when in Miami, hikes in Northern Virginia, and joins her adult son, Kevin in the mountains of North Carolina and her oldest son, Sean in Charleston, SC with his family and grandson Colby.
Bonnie Ashby Sewell, CFP®, CDFA™, AIF®
- Interviewed by CNBC’s Sharon Epperson, October 2010
- Spoke at College of Charleston “Discipline Determines Destiny”, November 2010
- Spoke at Investment News Retirement Income Summit “The Golden Fears”, NYC, March 2009
- Served as Georgia’s Secretary of State Cathy Cox’s Retirement Planning Speaker in her Investment Education Series, “Money Counts” with letters of commendation, 2004-2006
- Contributor to "Tips from the Top: Targeted Advice from America's Top Money Minds", Alpha Books, 2003
- Lead author 2004 white paper, “It Takes a Wired Village” accepted by the National Association for Financial Education (NEFE)
- Columnist for the industry’s Journal of Financial Planning through 2011
- Spoke in Leesburg, VA, October 12, 2011, “Monte Carlo in the Morning”
- Spoke in San Diego, February 29, 2012, "Succession Planning"
- Author, "Love-Jacked! Divorce Your Spouse, Not Your Dollars", available on Amazon and Kindle
- Spoke at industry conferences November 2012 and January 2013
- Spoke at Women on the Move transportation company owners in Miami, March 2013
- poke at Spinning Wheels, more transportation company owners in Phoenix, March 2013
- Spoke at the National Business Educators Conference, Atlanta, April 2013
- Spoke on personal finance at Cascades Public Library, Sterling, VA April 2013
- Health & Wealth Workshop at Lost Creek Winery November 2013 with Cliff Russell, ex-NFL player and trainer from Ripped Performance
- Interviewed on Executive Leaders Radio, December 19 2013
- Interviewed on Wharton Business Radio, May 15, 2014
- Spoke at Sterling Women Luncheon April 2014
- Speaking at Invest In Women Conference, Dallas, May 2016
- Speaking at Institute of Divorce Financial Analysts National Conference, Chicago, May 2016
- Speaker – Garrett Planning Network Retreat, Broomfield, CO July 2016
- Presented to Fairfax, VA Bar Association (Family Law Section), July 2016
- Presented to National Conference National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA), October 2016
- Speaker, “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce”, Shareholders Service Group Annual Conference, San Diego, April 2017
- Speaker, “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce”, AICPA PFS Conference, MGM Grand, Las Vegas, June 2017