Who We Are
After leaving college, Bonnie Sewell worked as a cost analyst in an engineering firm, where she used a specific formula for critical path management: men, money and machines. When tracked effectively, this approach inevitably yielded great results, resulting in a competitive edge of knowing expectations would be met or exceeded.
Bonnie recognized important parallels between cost analysis for the corporate world and financial planning for families and individuals. In 1992, she became a Certified Financial Planner™ so she could help families thrive in their financial lives, working through her first firm and larger firms over the years. In 2009, she founded her second Registered Investment Advisory firm—American Capital Planning—with the goal of providing a boutique financial planning experience for clients who insist on the highest level of service.
Bonnie Ashby Sewell, CFP®, CEPA®, CDFA™, AIF®
Founder & Lead Advisor
Bonnie was raised in a small town west of Chicago in a single parent home, commonly referred to at the time as “broken.” While the family was often broke, her loving home was far from broken.
Influenced by her mother’s commitment to providing for the family despite her less than ideal financial situation, Bonnie endeavored to understand everything about money – how it works, how it can work for you, and most importantly, how to use it for good.
Bonnie has a background in tax planning, and she has been working with families as a Certified Financial Planner™ since 1992. Service to her industry includes the National Board for the Financial Planning Association (FPA), South Region Board for the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA), and the Foundation for Financial Planning board. She is past President on the Board of Directors for the non-profit Loudoun Therapeutic Riding. She is a current member of the board for Oatlands Historic House and Gardens.
As a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, Bonnie helps prepare expert testimony for private arbitration and court cases relating to divorce. She also works in mediation and private negotiations. This can include lifestyle analysis, net worth projections, income on assets, working capital, tax impact, income & spending, financial impact of a particular scenario.
- Certified Financial Planner™
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst ®
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary ®
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor ®
Expert testimony relating to divorce:
I prepare expert testimony for private arbitration and court cases relating to divorce.
I also work in mediation and private negotiations. This can include lifestyle analysis, net worth projections, income on assets, working capital, tax impact, income & spending, financial impact of a particular scenario.
- Interviewed by CNBC’s Sharon Epperson, October 2010
- Speaker at Investment News Retirement Income Summit “The Golden Fears”, NYC, March 2009
- Served as Georgia’s Secretary of State Cathy Cox’s Retirement Planning Speaker in her Investment Education Series, “Money Counts” with letters of commendation, 2004-2006
- Columnist for the industry’s Journal of Financial Planning through 2011
- Author, "Love-Jacked! Divorce Your Spouse, Not Your Dollars", 2012, updated 2017
- Interviewed on Executive Leaders Radio, December 19 2013
- Interviewed on Wharton Business Radio, May 15, 2014
- Panelist at the 2nd Annual Invest in Women Conference, Dallas, May 2016, and 3rd Annual in May 2017
- Presenter at the National Institute of Divorce Financial Analysts, Chicago, May 2016
- Presented to Fairfax, VA Bar Association (Family Law Section), July 2016
- Presented to National Conference (NAPFA), October 2016
- Speaker, “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce”, Shareholders Service Group Annual Conference, San Diego, April 2017
- Speaker, “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce”, AICPA PFS Conference, MGM Grand, Las Vegas, June 2017
- Speaker, “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce”, University of Santa Cruz, August 2017
- “Math Modeling Matters in Divorce” for 2 webinars @ cpaacademy.org, September/October 2017.
- When Your Clients Divorce-What Matters Most in 2018, presented to over 2,000 CPAs by webinar @ cpaacademy.org, January 2018-October 2018
- Speaker, “Top 5 Financial Disruptions and Solutions for Women”, Ellevate Network @ Freddie Mac, February 2018
- Speaker, “Financial Planning During Divorce: Help Your Clients Get Back to the Future, Aurora Training, January 2019
- Speaker, “Helping Divorced Clients Get Back to the Future”, @ cpaacademy.org, January 2019
- Speaker, "Divorcing You When They Divorce Their Spouse?", Fi360 Conference, Nashville, April 2019
- Invited guest, Executive Leaders Radio with Herb Cohen, April 2019
- Invited host, Executive Leaders Radio with Herb Cohen, May 2019
- Speaker, National Women in Roofing, Top Five Financial Disruptions for Women, March 2021
Client Relationship Manager
Jessie brings over eight years of management experience helping senior citizens navigate and map out their retirement. She holds a Bachelor's of Science in Business Management degree from Clemson University and a Master's in Healthcare Administration degree from the University of North Carolina - Charlotte.
Having worked in a leadership role in senior living, Jessie is passionate about helping our clients achieve their goals through personal finance to secure their future. She lives in Williamsburg, VA, with her family and has recently completed her CFP® coursework.
Jessie’s role at American Capital Planning is to oversee the day to day duties of running a compliant fee-only financial services firm, all while providing a high service level to clients and efficiently employing the best technology.
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration – Clemson University
- Master’s in Healthcare Administration – University of North Carolina-Charlotte
How We Serve Our Clients
Fiduciary, Fee-only, Flat Fee*
- We act only in your best interest
- Our fee is based on managed/ advised assets, not commissions
- Only 23% of CFPs are female
- Fewer than 15% of advisory firm owners are female
Educated & Experienced
- MS in Financial Planning
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- Certified Financial Planner®
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst®
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary®
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor®
- Over three decades experience in the financial industry
- To help our clients make the most of their wealth while enjoying their busy personal lives.
- Because we've been there, and we know the difference a trusted advocate and partner can make.
- Because small business owners deserve professional guidance, too.
- So we can provide a personal planning experience to every client.
It's never too soon to start planning, but it can be too late. We'll get you up and running quickly with our three-step process:
- Identify values, objectives, timeline and potential obstacles.
2. Design & Deliver
- Build a path to financial freedom based on your risk tolerance, personal values and timeline.
3. Protect & Grow
- We monitor and optimize your investments so you can rest easy knowing we are taking care of you.
*Flat fee or a % based on assets, not sales commissions
While we are located in Virginia,
we serve clients across the country and beyond
Geography will not stand in our way of serving our clients!
- Tucson, AZ
- Coronado, CA
- San Jose, CA
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Denver, CO
- Atlanta, GA
- Pensacola, FL
- Chicago, IL
- Annapolis, MD
- Potomac, MD
- Raleigh, NC
- Cincinnati, OH
- Chattanooga, TN
- Northern VA
- Richmond, VA
- West Virginia
- Sicily, Italy
- Lucca, Italy
American Capital Planning is based in Northern Virginia, but we can work with clients anywhere. Many relationships work well remotely and with the technology we utilize, developing a trusted and personal relationship is easily possible. For clients who do not live in Northern Virginia, we provide the same high standard of care and service.
Work With Us
"Wealth is the ability to fully experience life."
Henry David Thoreau