Who We Are
After leaving college, Bonnie Sewell worked as a cost analyst in an engineering firm, where she used a specific formula for critical path management: men, money and machines. When tracked effectively, this approach inevitably yielded great results, resulting in a competitive edge of knowing expectations would be met or exceeded.
Bonnie recognized important parallels between cost analysis for the corporate world and financial planning for families and individuals. In 1992, she became a Certified Financial Planner™ so she could help families thrive in their financial lives, working through her first firm and larger firms over the years. In 2009, she founded her second Registered Investment Advisory firm—American Capital Planning—with the goal of providing a boutique financial planning experience for clients who insist on the highest level of service.
Bonnie Ashby Sewell, CFP®, CEPA®, CDFA™, AIF®
Founder & Lead Advisor
Client Relationship Manager
How We Serve Our Clients
Fiduciary, Fee-only, Flat Fee*
- We act only in your best interest
- Our fee is based on managed/ advised assets, not commissions
- Only 23% of CFPs are female
- Fewer than 15% of advisory firm owners are female
Educated & Experienced
- MS in Financial Planning
- MS in Healthcare Administration
- Certified Financial Planner®
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst®
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary®
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor®
- Over three decades experience in the financial industry
- To help our clients make the most of their wealth while enjoying their busy personal lives.
- Because we've been there, and we know the difference a trusted advocate and partner can make.
- Because small business owners deserve professional guidance, too.
- So we can provide a personal planning experience to every client.
It's never too soon to start planning, but it can be too late. We'll get you up and running quickly with our three-step process:
- Identify values, objectives, timeline and potential obstacles.
2. Design & Deliver
- Build a path to financial freedom based on your risk tolerance, personal values and timeline.
3. Protect & Grow
- We monitor and optimize your investments so you can rest easy knowing we are taking care of you.
*Flat fee or a % based on assets, not sales commissions
While we are located in Virginia,
we serve clients across the country and beyond
Geography will not stand in our way of serving our clients!
- Tucson, AZ
- Coronado, CA
- San Jose, CA
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Denver, CO
- Atlanta, GA
- Pensacola, FL
- Chicago, IL
- Annapolis, MD
- Potomac, MD
- Raleigh, NC
- Cincinnati, OH
- Chattanooga, TN
- Northern VA
- Richmond, VA
- West Virginia
- Sicily, Italy
- Lucca, Italy
American Capital Planning is based in Northern Virginia, but we can work with clients anywhere. Many relationships work well remotely and with the technology we utilize, developing a trusted and personal relationship is easily possible. For clients who do not live in Northern Virginia, we provide the same high standard of care and service.
Work With Us
"Wealth is the ability to fully experience life."
Henry David Thoreau